Saturday, December 22, 2007

Oh Christmas Weed, Oh Christmas Weed!


Disheartened by the prices of both live and cut Christmas trees, Corey and I were sent back to the holiday drawing board. He remembered a juniper that was competing with a Norway spruce on our land - and thought a little well-intentioned weeding could give us a tree.

It is sparse. It is lanky. But it is ours. And it smells great.

We're staying in Sugar Hollow this year for Christmas. I finally feel ready to start our own traditions, with a nod to what has meant Christmas to me since my childhood. That means the big colored tree lights, advent calendars, sugar cookies and a roasted turkey (The Old) while cherishing time with friends that live down in Blackwell Hollow and with my brother, Chris; long walks on our land with the dogs; a fire in our outdoor fireplace; and a 'Christmas' concert this evening with Jim Waive and the Young Divorcees and Sarah White and the Pearls (The New).

Maybe I'll even sneak in a lie down under the Christmas weed and look up from that vantage point. The way I loved to as a kid. I fear I will eventually need to call in Corey to help me and The Belly up, but it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Patience_Crabstick said...

I saw this entry's title on Cville news and thought it was going to be about marijuana!
Merry Christmas.

Tracey said...

Ha! Awesome . . .