Thursday, March 15, 2007

DIY: Antiquing with Moss


I am 100% Irish. I would like to believe that my bloodline goes back to the Druids, but stuff like this Celtic garden cross makes my big, Irish head of hair stand-on-end with glee.

I'm going to take it to the next woodland imp-ish level and paint it with the following ingredients to encourage moss growth. To age it. To move it a couple of steps up from concrete garden statuary-status. Should look lover-ly with my potted boxwood and container ivy.

What You'll Need:

Porcelain Clay
Fish fertilizer
Moss
Sturdy, narrow paint brush

Mix about a fist-sized lump of the clay with 3 cups of water. Combine this with 1 cup of fish emulsion and 1 cup of moss; wisk together. Then paint on statuary or terra cotta. Try to think about how moss would grow naturally. Put in a moist, shady spot (spritz with water occasionally). In a few months - you should have a satisfyingly moss-covered piece. At least that is what I am hoping for . . .

No comments: