Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Seed Lust - Part IV - Well, Well


Heirloom Acres Seeds
Over 700 varieties of heirloom vegetable, herb and flower seeds, books, cover crops
http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/

Looky, looky here. No. Self. Control. Sir Otis is pictured with my most recent seed packet booty.

I feel an intervention coming on. I can rationalize this act of horticultural debauchery by arguing that it will ultimately be a source of food for us - but we all know it runs a little deeper than that. This e-commerce racket will be my undoing.

I was drawn to Heirloom Acres Seeds for two reasons - 1. Access to an incredible selection of heirloom variety flowers and vegetables and; 2. The $.95 mini-packs.

Heirloom seeds are open-pollinated varieties (think of birds and bees handling the pollination bit) that have roots in an earlier time and an original seed. Some say pre-1951 is the cut off. Growing heirlooms is moving away from the monoculture trend in today's agriculture - i.e. grow the same dependable hybrids over and over. Instead, with heirlooms, you have more varieties and you will be sustaining the future of each heirloom vegetable through growing and nurturing them in your own garden.

Some of my newly arrived heirlooms (heart racing as I write this) - Stowells Evergreen White Sweet Corn, Bronze Mignonette Lettuce, Caribe Red(dish) Potatoes, and (drumroll) The Best in Taste Tomato Sampler - which includes - Black Prince, Brandywine Pink, Cherokee Purple, Mrs. Maxwell's Big Italia and Yellow Marble. I must say, the smaller packets for $.95 help me screw up the courage to try something new without having hundred of seeds to feel accountable for . . .

On that note, join me (laugh at me?) as I also try to grow asparagus and rhubarb in the Piedmont. Guffaws are welcome . . .

1 comment:

Wear Your Wild said...

I'm going to have to check them out! I've never heard of them.
Happy Spring!