Monday, April 9, 2007

Tree Topping: The Underbelly of the Tree Service Society


I counted close to 50 of these trees. 50. Five. Zero. On one piece of property.

Standing tall as the stark, skeletal remains of what were once healthy trees.

My heart is in my throat.

I made a vow to myself that this blog would be mostly light-hearted fun. Limited soap-box time (which really isn't my thing anyway). So I'll keep this brief.

Tree topping is super harmful to trees on several levels. Aside from looking ghastly and creepy, it creates branches that break easily and are susceptible to rot and disease. It actually starves the tree. No leaves = decreased access to food and the whole process of photosynthesis.

So - in short - it can simply lead to the slow death of a tree. In this case, 50 of them. Blows. My. Mind.

Visit Plant Amnesty.org to learn more - they also offer "Stop Topping Trees" t-shirts and bumperstickers. Spread the word, stop the butchering!

6 comments:

Wear Your Wild said...

In Tennessee, they have to leave a note and let you know when they're coming. You can do it yourself, hire someone to do it OR stay home the day they're coming and supervise!

Tracey said...

Eeek! You know the sad part about this property is that the people HIRE a tree service company to do this on purpose . . . whoa . . .

swampkris said...

If this is the property I think it is, those are Bradford Pears that (true to their nature) fell apart during hurricane season a year or so back. I can't imagine all that topping is going to make them stronger. A high price to pay for uniform, lollipop shaped flowering trees; those folks would have been better off planting something sturdier. But, there you have it, I am a cranky tree snob.

Steph said...

yikes!

My husband and I watched in awe last spring as our new neighbors cut down 16 beautiful mature trees simply because they wanted more lawn. Why would you buy a house in a wooded lot if you didn't want trees?!

Trees are worth getting on your soap box about!

Tracey said...

An update: I noticed this past week that the tree service people for this property have created mulch volcanoes at the base of each of these topped trees. EGADS!! The death knell . . .

Tree hugging said...

An old post, but I just saw it and had to comment...

I know this place and I've been watching for years ever since the foolish landowners planted Bradford Pears. I'll admit it, I'm a plant snob. Planting Bradford pears is basically no better than putting pink flamingos on your lawn. They are as close as you can come to a fake tree that isn't. Plus, they are ultimately doomed to die a horrible death once ice, snow, wind hits them (or perhaps if you look at them funny).

Then, in a hasty decision to "fix" the problem, the property owners call someone that gives them a dastardly hair cut. Just put them out of their misery okay, and plant a real tree?

Yeesh.