Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Native Plant Spotlight: Black-Eyed Susan

I planted a small bunch of Black-Eyed Susan seedlings about three years ago and had long given up on trying to grow anything in that particular patch. I hadn't amended the soil and it was premature of me to think of a garden in that part of our land. I thought nothing of it as the riding mower whirred over the spot, as our tractor bowled over the spot and then as the bush hog violently ripped through the spot.

But, several years later, they have resurfaced and they live! And they are as sweet as ever. I keep looking out our windows to see their sunny faces reaching for the sky. I'm hoping that they will keep multiplying from year to year.

I have a feeling they will do just fine. Lord knows, they don't need my help. They've had enough of our loud, aggressive machine-like ways. And with grace and aplomb, they haven't batted an eye.

*********
Latin: Rudbeckia hirta
Growing Conditions: Sun to part shade. Dry to moist soil.
Growth Habit: 1'-3' high
Bloom time: Summer
Zones: 3 - 9
Contributions to wildlife: Loved by butterflies; seeds are cherished by songbirds

3 comments:

Steph said...

I love plants that just don't give up!

Wear Your Wild said...

I think also, that if you don't deadhead them, they must reseed themselves. I believe that's how mine are multiplying. They're not invasive, they just pop up somewhere. I love their bright splash of color that lasts such a long time!

Tracey said...

That is right! I will leave them be . . . and let them go forth and multiply.