Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Recipe: The Potatoes Are Here! The Potatoes Are Here!

"Melted butter and garlic together. Fuggedaboutit. It proves that there is a God."

This is my mid-Western husband celebrating the main ingredients to his grilled potatoes. He is from Toledo. We have obviously watched way too many Sopranos episodes and our trips back up to my childhood home on Long Island (and the myriad of Italian restaurant pilgrimages) are rubbing off on him.

But his potatoes are the best. Even better with our first crop of blue-ish-purple Caribe potatoes. The planting in straw turned out to be a cinch and makes it very easy to harvest the goods.

Corey's Grill-Top Potatoes

Slice the potatoes. Place on aluminum foil. Melt butter and minced garlic (to your taste) in microwave. Pour over potatoes. Add salt, pepper, several splashes of soy sauce and fresh, chopped parsley. Toss. Make a pouch out of the aluminum foil and place on the grill for about 15-20 minutes. Consume immediately.

7 comments:

Silvia said...

Those are some really purple potatoes! Where do you order them from?

Silvia said...

I just noticed in your gardening notes the Ruth Stout mention. I read her book at least 10 yrs ago and loved it. It's the one where she talks about going one whole year eating only raw vegetables from her garden, not cooking anything. I can't remember what else she ate that year--I hope there were other things in her diet! Now I've got to see if I can find that book and re-read it.

Tracey said...

Hi Silvia,

I bought them through Heirloom Acres Seeds, but it looks like you can get them directly - through this site.

http://www.woodprairie.com/

Ah, yes. Ruth Stout. Compost goddess/grandmother. I still have TONS to learn from her . . .

Unknown said...

Ummmm! That's what I should have had for dinner!

Tree hugging said...

You can also get purple potatoes from the grocery store, cut them in half and plant them. (I've seen them at Foods of Inflation and Whole Foods).

The best thing about them is that if you boil and mash them up, they make bright sky-blue mash potatoes.

Weird, but cool.

Silvia said...

That would be a hit with my kids!

Steph said...

Yum, yum, yum!