Thursday, June 7, 2007

Recipe: Spring Vegetable Ragout

I used to think that 'ragout' meant 'soggy vegetables' in French.

Not so with this dish. I couldn't believe how fresh and delicious everything tasted. Not an overcooked, mushy vegetable in sight. And, it is a great tribute to what is at the market, or growing in your gardens, right now.

Ingredients:

Leeks
Vidalia onion
Asparagus
Sugar snap peas
Crimini mushrooms

Salt and pepper

Chives
Tarragon
Parsley

Cut everything up. To keep it appetizing - for me - I sliced the leeks and onions very thin. I cut the asparagus and snap peas on a sharp diagonal.

Sweat the leeks and onion in half butter/half olive oil. This should take about 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add the asparagus - cook a little; add the sugar snap peas - cook a little more; add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.

Then, with about a minute left to cook - add the chopped up herbs.
******
We had this as a side dish with dinner last night. It was so yummy, that before we knew it, we had eaten four servings of vegetables. Sneaky!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracey, I love your blue pottery!
:o)

Betsy

Tracey said...

Thanks! Wanna know the *best* part - most of the pieces are from three very thoughtful people in my life - my husband, my mom and my mother-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww......

:o)

Betsy