Thursday, July 5, 2007

Recipe: Fried Squash Blossoms


I really do still get out into the dirt. I do!

But, there are also all sorts-a things to eat these days. Crops fresh from the garden. So recipe experiments have been at the front of my brain.

As of late, I have been devouring fried squash blossoms. I remember seeing them for the first time at the Rolling Stone offices, when an editor brought them in - grown in her Queens garden. I never forgot the fact that she was growing something in the borough of Queens, nor the fact that she fried flowers and brought them in for all to taste. A FAR cry from rushed, Mid-town takeout.

The How-To's

Pluck blossoms when they are still closed up (see photo above with green beans). Place in a bowl of ice water for 20 minutes.
*****
Make a mix of 1/2 bread crumbs (I like Italian-style/spiced) with 1/2 flour on a plate
Grate Parmesan cheese into this mix
Add salt and pepper
*****
On a separate plate, beat an egg white.
*****
Heat up some olive oil in a skillet. Dip blossoms in the egg white, dip in the flour mixture. Plunk down in the oil. They fry up quickly, so keep an eye out!

I'm sure there is some great cream-y, herb-y dip you could serve with these. Or maybe even marinara sauce. My fried blossoms didn't make it that far, or to the table for that matter. I ate them as soon as they had cooled, hunched over the kitchen counter. Classy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband would love these!

(That's how I eat my bbq ribs, hunched over the kitchen counter!lol)

Christa said...

Those look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe. If you ate them right at your kitchen counter, that's a sure sign they were irresistible!

Tracey said...

Miss Fickle,
Oh, my. BBQ ribs. Heaven . . .

Christa,
You are most welcome! I can't wait to make your zucchini fritters (tummy growling).

Mary said...

Yum! And I think I've seen some gardening show or other stuff them with some kind of stuffing before they're fried. Double yum!

Tracey said...

Yes, Mary! I've heard of them being stuffed with mozzarella, feta and, I think, goat cheese . . . whoa . . .