Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Call It A Comeback

The Black-Eyed Susan Vine. Long figured for dead as August rolled around. A single tear rolled down my cheek as I helplessly watched it become a crunchy mass.

Then, cooler weather and a ton of rain. I can't be quite sure, but I think it actually reseeded itself. Rising like a phoenix from the flames.

I started the Black-Eyed Susan Vine from seed in the spring (very easy and it produced extremely sturdy, substantial seedlings). This vine also does well in part-shade. It is part of my container garden, growing in an old bushel basket and winding up a rustic trellis.

A little bit of sunshine on a cloudy day. I can't take my eyes off of the blooms and the twining leaves. I think it picked up on my smitten-ness. And is giving me its best show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that vine too though I've never grown it. The prettiest I've ever seen it is in your photo with the mountains in the distance. Nice job!

Patience_Crabstick said...

That is lovely. Maybe I'll plant some and try to train it up our arbor.

Anonymous said...

Tracey, mine didn't do much of anything either until mid-August. Maybe it's just a "late bloomer"--Heh-Heh.

Betsy