Friday, October 12, 2007

Field Trip: Planting Fields Arboretum

Planting Fields Arboretum
Oyster Bay, Long Island - New York

I first discovered the Planting Fields in my early 20's. When I was working and living in New York City and visiting with my parents on the weekends. Desperate for trees, fresh air, open spaces - it became the place I would go to contemplate major life decisions. Its energy always brought things into focus for me. Sending me off - ready to take on the world.

Or, er, in some cases . . . equipped with the where-with-all to break-up with a boyfriend. Grimace.

*******
This Gold Coast estate on Long Island's North Shore was built in 1904. In keeping with the grandeur of the times, the property and its outbuildings didn't miss a step.

A Main Greenhouse (still active and thriving) showcases over 1,000 types of orchids; 250 varieties of cacti and succulents; palm trees; begonias and ferns. The Camellia House is the "largest collection of its kind under glass in North America."

The Grounds include a Synoptic Garden. An Azalea and Rhododendron Walk. Formal garden areas with roses, lilacs and perennials. A Children's Play Cottage. A Tea House and an Italian Blue Pool Garden. A secret pool. A huge weeping linden. Old stands of beeches!

These photos were taken during my trip to New York last month. Thankfully, with no major life decisions to make. Just time to traipse on the grounds of this breathtaking estate. I have arrived.


Weeping atlas cedar and clematis.


Tea House porch and bench.

Tea House


The Secret Pool - tucked in a boxwood-heavy corner of the estate.


Rose and Lilac Walk


Ironwork and creeping roses.


The Main Greenhouse


A dahlia from the Dahlia Garden.


The Children's Play Cottage


The Camellia House

4 comments:

zoe krylova said...

i want to go play in the children's cottage. the entire place looks stunning!

Pina said...

Me too! I love the cottages, they are like in some fairytale.

Tracey said...

The children's cottages always grab my attention, too. *Always!*

Wish you could see inside - it was outfitted with a small fireplace, cupboards, cozy places to sit and beautiful natural light. Sigh . . .

Steph said...

I love your field trip photos.