Monday, January 12, 2009

Sugar Hollow Through The Viewfinder





The afternoon, winter light in Sugar Hollow creates an ethereal-ness that urges me outside with my camera. This barn is on the property next to our land. The second and third photos are taken inside the barn - with hints of how life was when the farm was active. The second photo from the bottom is a foundation of old barracks. German POW's from WWII lived in these barracks and picked peaches and apples during their imprisonment. It was also a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp.

There's a terrific article about the land and the camp here. Page 5.

8 comments:

Amber said...

I must ask how you got the cool effects on the photos. Was that a filter, or post editing?

I enjoy reading your blog.

~A fellow VA gardener/aspiring photographer

Les said...

I was wondering the same as Amber, please tell.

Tracey said...

Hi Amber and Les,

It is Through The Viewfinder photography. I take the photos with my Canon Rebel XTi through the lense of an old Kodak Duaflex. I made a lightbox of sorts between the two cameras with cardboard.

There's a great Flickr group that has all of the how to's and tips . . .

Anonymous said...

so dreamy and vintage. i've always loved ttv photographs.

Tree hugging said...

There's increasing talk about restarting the CCC again at the federal level as a means of providing jobs.

Tracey said...

Thanks Sheila!

Lonnie - I think that is absolutely fascinating . . . our country could use it. I always am amazed when I visit a park or stay in a cabin that was built by the CCC.

Anonymous said...

These would be great pictures even with out the vintage trickery - and how cool is it to still be able to take photos like this without have to (gasp) go back to film?! Thanks for revealing your secret and hope to see you - really and virtually - at Blithewold soon!

Tracey said...

Yay, Kris. Honored to have you visit here. I have been visiting Blithewold virtually and loving it. Maybe I can get up there and take my mother - who is also smitten with your (gasp!) workplace!