Monday, February 23, 2009

Globe Trotting and Garden Hopping :: Hill Top



What we hope is the tail-end of our month of nasty bugs had some very sweet down-times. I finally bought The Beatrix Potter Collection DVD (more for me than for Willa, I soon realized). Snuggling in on the couch with a dog (or two), a Willa, a blanket and some Peter Rabbit or Jeremy Fisher made for a speedy recovery.

Each gorgeously illustrated story has a short intro, in which an actress portraying Beatrix Potter is found sitting sketching in a field until she is interrupted by a rain storm and runs back to her cozy house, her menagerie of critters, a warm fire and a cup of tea. At her desk, she continues her story-spinning and then the animation part of the episode begins.

I found myself loving the short introductions as much as the actual stories. And then learned that those filmed bits were shot at Hill Top. The real-deal home and gardens of Beatrix Potter.

Annnnd the Lake District of England goes on The List. Big sigh. Need to work on finding that worldwide garden tour benefactor.

************
Middle photo from flickr member jay_bee and bottom photo from flickr member gobucks2.

1 comment:

NeverEverEmma said...

Ahh! I remember watching that Beatrix Potter series when I was young. That description of her running through the rain just brought it all back to me.

Thankyou! I enjoyed that series so much.