Friday, April 22, 2011

Drippy (Yet Productive)




Yo. Early spring. It is a dizzying time - and I wish it would slow down. I feel like we burst out the door - gleeful, easily distracted and flitty from the amount of things we want to get done outside. And it has been raining (and flooding) - making for an especially bright-green time around here.

The shaded native plant spot on our land is slowly filling up with Virginia bluebells (top photo). If you have never planted a bluebell, do so. There are also may apples, spring beauties and a trillium. I found a tag for a wild geranium, but have absolutely no recollection of planting one. I fear my gardening is going the way of my reading list. (I read that? {Strained, panicked pause.} When?)

The herb garden is back. Chives, oregano, chamomile, lemon balm, lavender, sage, rosemary and mint. I harvested some lemon balm and mint last evening and made a soothing tea that sent me to bed at 9 p.m. (Which I loved.)

Our front yard is a bare, patchy mess. I am hoping to combat this with a few sturdy shrubs and possibly a spiral garden - filled with flowers and herbs. Oh, the visions. And the huge possibility that the three little woofers will foil these plans. Since the bare, patchy mess is their work, and their domain.

The rhubarb, elderberry and black raspberry have all returned after the harrowing 2010 garden season (their first). Hurrah!

P.S. I swear Willa has other dresses, but this one is indeed on heavy rotation.

P.P.S. To the dearest friends who visited us this week - you filled our house with such awesomeness. We miss you in the biggest kind of way.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

The spiral garden is so great! Our front yard is a hot mess, so I may have to think about something like this.

NeverEverEmma said...

It's the one time of year when you and I are experiencing the same kind of weather, as we head into Autumn but the leaves are still green, and lots of rain.

Jealous of your black raspberries - my aunt has a plant and they are delicious.