Thursday, March 1, 2007

Tangled Up In Blue


In must be in my DNA-makeup. My mom goes berserk-er over blue flowers just as much as I do. My wedding bouquet was blue larkspur and bachelor's buttons. So I'm thinking that I MUST have a large section of this year's container garden dedicated to the color.

If I end up growing any five of any of these, I will be on cloud nine. Don't be scared of the Latin names - Lord knows I was for years and years. It'll just make it easier for you to find exactly what I am listing.

Mix with silvers such as helichrysum or dusty miller for a striking contrast. Sheesh - is it spring yet?!

Aster "Monarch" (Aster x frikartii)
Baby blue-eyes (Nemophila menziesii)
Bachelor's Button (Centaurea cyanus)
Balloon flower (Plactycodon grandiflorus)
Bellflower (Campanula rotundifolia)
Chinese forget-me-not (Cynoglossum amabile)
Clematis - various blue varieties
Forget-me-not (Myosotis sylvatica)
Glory of the Snow (a bulb) (Chionodoxa luciliae)
Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens)
Larkspur (Consolida ambigua)
Laurentia "Blue Stars" (Laurentia axillaris)
Lavendar sp.
Lobelia (Lobelia erinus)
Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena)
Morning glory "Heavenly Blue" (Ipomoea tricolor)
Pansies (Viola X Wittrockiana)
Plumbago (a real invasive creeper - make sure to contain it) (Ceratostigma plumbaginoides)
Salvia "Victoria" (Salvia farinacea)
Scaevola "Whirlwind Blue Velvet" (Scaevola sp.)
Speedwell "Goodness Grows" (Veronica alpina)
Swan River daily (Brachycome iberidifolia)
Sweet Peas "Electric Blue"/"Blue Celeste" - varieties from Renee's Garden Seeds - http://tinyurl.com/ypyhbh
Virginia Bluebells (a bulb) (Mertensia pulmonariodes)

No comments: