Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

A few years back, I was working a second job at a nursery in New York's tony Hamptons. I had access to some of the most incredible flowers around. And one year, I was able to bring home a nice arrangement of delphiniums for my mom on Mother's Day. They looked so cottage garden-y and so old-fashioned. So . . . my mom.

My mom still talks about those delphiniums to this day.

Now we live about 500 miles away from each other. But her influence on my love of gardening comes up every day. Her quiet, quick-witted and careful observations were something I watched and listened to as long as I can remember. Some of my fondest memories with her include strolling around estate gardens on the North Shore of Long Island, going to local nurseries for a visit or walking around the town I grew up in - admiring other's gardening handiwork.

I miss you, Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss you too, Tracey..but lucky me..whenever I need a fix, I can check your blog and hear that familiar voice ..giving me a chuckle..a litle perspective correction.. and pictures too!