Thursday, August 9, 2007

Recipe: Eggplant Roulades

Leora has been taking good care of me this summer, bringing surplus veggies from her CSA. This past weekend's bounty included eggplants and garlic. So eggplant roulades were in order.

***********
First, let me start out by saying that I rarely make it to the marinate-and-wrap-around cheese step of this recipe. The eggplant is crazily yummy after just broiling it in the garlic oil.

But, this time around I also tried out a quick approach to a fry-less Eggplant Parmesan. Make sure that if you do this, you go very easy on the salting of the eggplant. The salt from the cheese and the sauce can make the whole dish too salty. This coming from a girl who likes to suck the salt off of pretzels.

Also - I have to thank a coworker of mine for this recipe. He made it for an office holiday party and I hounded him for the details. Finally, he typed it out for me. My copy has olive oil drippings all over it - but that is the true sign of a good recipe, yes?


*******
Thin slices of eggplant (Italian or Asian eggplants work best)
Garlic, sliced thin
Crushed red pepper
Good quality mozzarella
Olive oil
Salt

Lightly salt both sides of the eggplant and drain for 1 hour.

Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and crushed red pepper; let sizzle just until the edges of the garlic begin to brown. Set aside and strain out a few tablespoons to roast the eggplant.

Brush both sides of the eggplant with garlic olive oil and broil on both sides on high until lightly browned.

Put eggplant slices and garlic oil in a glass dish and marinate overnight.

Roll each slice with mozzarella and hold together with a toothpick.

To make 'Eggplant Parmesan' - put roasted eggplant in baking dish. Put slices of mozzarella on top and add a good marinara sauce. Heat in oven until cheese has melted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks incredibly delicious! I will definitely be trying to make it when I get back!

Where fibers meet mud said...

wow - great low fat way to make a family favorite - thanks and I bet it will work great with the new meltable soy cheese!

Tracey said...

Cool! I'd love to hear what you think - or if you add anything that you think I should incorporate into the ever-evolving recipe.