Monday, November 12, 2007

Mid-November and Still At It

Turns out, autumn gardening is truly a favorite gardening time of mine. No relentless bugs, no humidity, no energy-zapping heat. When you weed, things stay - weeded. When you tidy up - things sit that way for a spell. There's the snap of the fresh air. The smell of fallen leaves. You get the picture. It is precious time - to be taken advantage of - when getting a head start for next season.

I am slowly putting our gardens to bed. My belly has been getting in the way of some of my chores - so, this week, I am going to hunt for a low, step stool that will become a gardening seat. To get me closer to the ground. I mean, us, closer to the ground.

Our raised vegetable beds. Slowly being cleaned up - with lots of help from my mother-in-law. Compost and shredded leaves will be added, and in some cases, sheets of cardboard will be used to smother the sections that host the hard-to-pluck/kill weeds.


My $10 potting bench (from Roses!). I have been rinsing out containers with a bleach and water mixture - to eradicate any lingering pests from this past season.

Lavender plants on their way to being transplanted from a container to our raised beds.

5 comments:

swampkris said...

Ah Tracey...your sleepy autumn garden is an inspiration. My beds still look like they just woke from a serious summer hangover. Makes me want to strap on the papoose and go flip the compost!

Tracey said...

Papoose! ;)

letitiah said...

the blue is a beautiful contrast!

Tracey said...

Thank you so much, Letitiah. Blue is a constant in my garden - I don't think I'll ever get sick of it . . .

Steph said...

I am in awe of you.