Thursday, January 31, 2008

Metafilter Talks Terrariums



Weblog Metafilter did a bit about terrariums last week. Here's the link to their page - scroll down to January 25th.

They included a blog entry little 'ole me did about terrariums-on-the-cheap (the 'easily and cheaply' link below - 'cause I'm classy like that).

"When it's been gray for days and it seems like spring will never come, making a terrarium (sometimes known as a Wardian case) is a good way to keep from going mad. Your own little ecosystem can be set up easily and cheaply in almost any clear-walled, enclosed container -- even a Mason jar or a two-liter Coke bottle. (Inspired by this.) "

If you can't get out to a greenhouse these days, bring the greenhouse to you!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Beautiful! I made a "faiy-um" a few years back. You may have inspired me again...

thebradleyartgallery said...

Hi, just accidently came across your blog...looking for forced bulb info...I love your site...I've put it in my favorites!
Thanks! I am so weary of winter here in Wisconsin your site it wonderful to perk me up.

Carolyn Hietala said...

Great minds think alike ;0) I just completed a terrarium in a jar (not at all as attractive as yours though... just a temporary home for my frog)and tomorrow I have two more to do. I like the colorful dishes as lids too... nice idea.

Tracey said...

I'm so glad to hear from other terrarium lovers . . . they are magical little worlds, yes?

Tree hugging said...

Terrariums are great places to grow lots of different mosses and liverworts. These can be really facinating especially when you can see them up close.

Also don't even think about putting things like Venus Flytraps in them, put those out in the bog garden where they belong. ;) There are, however, some tropical carniverous plans that work really well, like Drosera capensis.

Remember to used distilled water for your terrariums, otherwise minerals build up pretty quick.