Friday, April 4, 2008

A Late Start . . . But A Start, None-The-Less


Willa and I scurried out between the rain storms this morning and planted seeds. Weeeeeee! It smelled great - the bluebirds chirp-ily greeted us out in the raised beds and baby snoozed against my chest in her little carrier while I tossed seeds into the ground.

We're pushing things a tad - as far as starting times. In the interest of efficiency, I just mixed all of the lettuce and greens seeds together. I'll harvest it as a ready-made salad mix. It'll include Oakleaf lettuce, Saladbowl lettuce, Deer Tongue lettuce and arugula. Spinach was sowed in a separate row - I know, late for spinach, but I did sow the Bloomsdale variety (which is supposed to do better in the heat and puts off bolting a little longer . . . ). Up against our pea trellis, I got the Sugar Snap peas and the sweet peas in the ground.

AND, while I was out there - I saw that our three rhubarb plants were kickin' it and calling it a comeback - as healthy as ever. Huzzah - huzzah - huzzah!

3 comments:

Ann said...

Ah, rhubarb! There's not much that's better than a strawberry rhubarb pie ...

Bridge said...

You are my gardening guru...
have fun with your baby...

Unknown said...

How delish!
Pictures of the area?
(yeah, that's practical... a camera, a shovel, a rake, plantings annnnnd a Willa.)