Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Sweet Window For Bulb Shopping

Those of us living in zone 6/7 have a sweet spot in the bulb planting season. Two variables converge to make it the loveliest of planting times.

Element #1 - Bulbs are on-sale. E-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. I just made my pilgrimage to a favorite greenhouse, Eltzroth and Thompson. Bulbs are 50% off. I picked up 20 jonquil bulbs and 25 tulip bulbs, along with two bulbs for indoor forcing. I also bought an exquisitely simple blue glass forcing jar. All for $25.

E & T said that the sale is running until everything is gone. Also - they have this terrific set up - where you can just buy your bulbs-per-bulb. Little bags are supplied and you fill them up with a mix of whatever you are craving.

Element #2 - We can still plant bulbs down here for the next few weeks. Last year, I planted my bulbs over Thanksgiving.

So, what are you doing still reading this? Go on now. Get shopping.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...I'm going to tell hubby that I was ordered to go shopping. So if he complains about the bags of bulbs everywhere I'm sending him here!!!

I'm in zone 8 and can plant now too!

Thanks for the kick in the fanny...I'm off to buy some bulbs!

Anonymous said...

Hey there - I live just down the holler from you.. and planted my bulbs in my new bed.. and every morning a fox comes and digs everything up in his hunt for earthworms and grubs.. I havent caught her in the act.. but aagh.. I thoiught deer would be the problem

Tracey said...

IF - Have fun! Send him here!

Pips - A fox, huh?! Wow. I would try putting chicken wire flat over the bed - anchor it with some landscape fabric pins. She might get frustrated (I have heard that this works for cats - the wire doesn't feel good on their paws . . .) But you have that sly/fox element ;).

Tree hugging said...

...and don't forget native bulbs! Prairie moon has some really great deals on species like nodding onion and wood hyacinth, especially if you order a whole bunch.