Friday, May 8, 2009

In Which I Groove On Racemes


I'm on the hunt for this over the weekend.

Virginia Sweetspire. Itea virginica. The ideal summer shrub. Drooping, deliciously fragrant racemes (those cylindrical flowers) lure pollen-drunk bees during the month of June.

Their bzzzzz's will go with the lazy summer-day zzzzz's I hope to catch on a blanket in our garden.

Oh, yes. And the Sweetspire's fall show is nothing to sniff at . . .



When I'm not searching high and low for Itea virginica, I will be out there weeding, weeding and weeding, as the days of rain have left us with a jungle on our hands.

*****************
Photos from Wikimedia.

4 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I think someone sneaked in last night and planted weeds in my garden.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

what a beautiful hunt...i am on the hunt for a fig tree...can i plant a fig tree in a giant ceramic pot or does it need to be a dwarf fig tree tracy? Do dwarves bear fruit?

Elsie said...

Hey, I have lots in my yard if you want to dig up a few starts they are thicket-ing. Email me from the blog. I am in C'ville.

Tracey said...

Keewee - Me too! Crazy . . .

BbO - I am going to leave you a comment on your blog with details on good potted fig varieties. What fun . . .

Elsie - So generous of you! I hope to be in touch shortly!!