Monday, August 16, 2010

Garden Space, Rediscovered





I have a confession to make. I almost shut down this part of our gardens. It seemed too far away from the house. Too hot. Too much bald sun. Too much to keep up with. Click on photos for larger peeks into this spot (disregarding, of course, the patchy lawn death that crept up on us during July).

Then, we did the Shared Backyard project. Phase One of the Garden Resuscitation.

Then, Willa discovered it. She loves running around it buck naked, plucking Sungold tomatoes and wild blackberries, watering, squealing, looking for bunnies (her friends, my foes).

Otis likes to have a role in the garden, too (note the black dot in the middle photo). He likes having a purpose and is somewhat of a working dog. He takes his role chasing the latest interloper - a groundhog - very seriously. Like Basset Hound/Border Collie seriously.

It gives us herbs all season (oregano, lemon balm, lavender, thyme, rosemary, sage, echinacea, chives, basil); rhubarb, broccoli, lettuce, greens and snap peas in the spring; and potatoes and tomatoes these days. A few things failed - like collards (too enticing for the wildlife) and the garlic (not sure what happened there . . . ). I would like to grow more so I can freeze, can and stock for the winter. But that will take time. And practice. And the minute detail of a fence.

Now, we are talking about building a small porch-type, lean-to down there for picnics and storage. For more lingering tucked among the growth and the overgrowth - in the middle of the smells and the sounds.

Life needs to happen around a garden. Good thing others have shown me that important detail. Thanks, y'all.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds fanatastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your didn't! Even though most of my veggies were eating away, I am very happy to see the sunflowers have made it. Success! Plus working there has given me a little solace, a lot of happiness and a lot of lessons. :D

-Bonnie

Cooking for Diabetes said...

You are so lucky to have such a big space. I am trying to grow my own herbs too. I have started with basil and will probably add more to it next summer.

Alison Kerr said...

Blackberries and bunnies - Peter Rabbit would approve! It sounds like a good place to explore (perfect for hide and seek). My favorite kind of garden :-)