Monday, August 2, 2010

Scattershot II




Red, white and blue potatoes are being harvested right now from our gardens! I am writing a round up of my favorite summer recipes over at Virginia Living Magazine - and it includes a grilled potatoes recipe that is a staple go-to. I made potatoes with paprika and rosemary (from our herb garden) for dinner last night. We'll be eating a lot of potatoes - so please send favorite recipes.

Loving evening walks after a good rain storm in which Otis and Willa wear each other out in the best of ways. Post-drizzle, galosh-wearing walks (top photo) were also very welcome this weekend. We had rain and cloud cover and appreciated every minute of it. Everything smelled like life instead of the crispy, singed-to-death landscape of the past month-and-a-half.

Meet Yer Eats Farm Tour! Cool!

I'm just a wee bit excited about Rob Sheffield's new book. If you didn't read Love is a Mixed Tape, drop everything you are doing to fetch yourself a copy. And if the title Talking to Girls About Duran Duran and the Quest for a Cool Haircut doesn't speak to you in some way, it must mean that you weren't knee-deep in high school angst in the 1980s?

I made the Peperonata in saor last week. Wow. Yum. Especially good with grilled salmon on top of it. Next from the Adventures with Ruth recipes to try? The strawberry jam tarts. I don't have elderberry flowers, but I have the freezer jam from this past spring. And I'm sure I can track down some creme fraiche. (Because I have a nose for that sort of thing.) This weekend I also quick-preserved some lemons to use in a future attempt at the tagine recipe from her Moroccan episode.

Also - while writing about cooking. We don't have cable out our way, so my discovery of shows (through Netflix) can actually be something that started airing in, let's say, 2005. Like Anthony Bourdain. I have now traveled with him to Iceland, China, New Jersey, Vietnam, Las Vegas and Paris. I could do without the scenes in which he eats cow stomach or fermented shark, but can't seem to get enough of watching him smoke and drink and stuff his skinny self alongside self-deprecating humor and a super-sharp, super-fast take on things. I hear he has a new book. Perhaps I'll experience his latest endeavor in real-er time.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Roasted potatoes with garlic, lemon, and oregano. A family fave.

3 lbs potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
preheat oven to 400 degrees. place potatoes in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish. Add the iol, garlic, dried oregano, S&P and toss to coat with the oil. Bake for 15 minutes then add the stock, then toss and bake 10 more minutes. Add the lemon juice, toss, and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until potatoes are cooked through. If you like, brown under the broiler 2-3 minutes until browned. Sprinkle with fresh oregano. YUMMY!!!!!!

Southern Lady said...

I have been enjoying the rain and cloud cover too. I am getting a little ready for the crisp temperatures of fall. The potatoes look great. We grilled some new potatoes the other night and they were heavenly. Carla

NeverEverEmma said...

Willa is so big now! I am waiting in anticipation for your potato recipe with rosemary and paprika... i have some rosemary on my kitchen bench right now... sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Love you multi-colored potatoes. We just planted reds this year and have started to harvest them. Check out my blog at www.alisasgarden.blogspot.com

Alison Kerr said...

My family all think I'm crazy growing potatoes, especially since so far I've pretty much failed. But, to me, nothing beats the taste of freshly harvested, homegrown potatoes. I think I'll have to get some tips from you.

What was your yield? I've read that 8x is average. I got 0-2x.