Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fall Garden Chores: Steph of New Branch Farm


I asked several of my gardening friends to tell me about their favorite fall garden tasks.

Stephanie owns and operates New Branch Farm - an organic farm just outside of Charlottesville. She is also a new mom to Ryan. How she does both befuddles me. Make sure to visit Steph at the C'ville City Market on Saturday mornings. She will be selling arugula, basil, eggplant, green beans, greens mixes, garlic, lettuce mixes, radishes, tomatoes and tomatillos.

From Steph:

My favorite fall activity is planting garlic. It's a welcome break from all the fall field "clean-up" - tilling in earlier plantings, bringing in tomato stakes and row covers for winter storage, etc. You can plant garlic late in the fall so it usually one of the last outdoor farm activities I do (I usually plant between late October to mid November).

Good catalog resources for garlic are Johnny's Selected Seeds and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

No comments: