Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spring Dreaming :: CSAs

Two of my mama friends are also organic farmers and run CSA's (community supported agriculture). Steph owns New Branch Farm and is offering unique options for those interested in a CSA this year. From her website:

**********
One of the distinctions of our CSA is the season. We are offering both:

• a spring share (12 weeks) and
• an autumn share (9 weeks).

In each season, you also have choice of the "Traditional Share" or the "Salad Share".

Traditional Share: A variety of seasonal, certified organic vegetables and herbs: we strive to provide 6-10 items weekly in quantities ample for 2 people. Our goal is to provide a diversity of vegetables. For example, our popular greens mix, arugula, and lettuces mixed with traditional favorites like potatoes, garlic, and tomatoes as well as more specialty items like haricot vert beans. In the spring, an assortment of potted plants for home growing are also offered.

Salad Share: If you're a salad lover, this share is sure to excite. Inspired by our mixed greens and arugula - City Market customer favorites. The weekly bag includes over a pound of various lettuces and greens (items will vary weekly but will be some combination of lettuce, mixed greens, and arugula). In addition, items to provide your salad with color, crunch, or garnish will be included (will vary weekly but possibilities include radishes, salad turnips, fresh herbs, garlic, etc).

Both shares also include a farm note and recipes.

*********

I just joined Trish's CSA yesterday - my first CSA ever. Innisfree is literally down the road from us and we are splitting a share with another family (Thanks, Christine!). We are also doing an egg share.

Although I'll be doing my own gardening in Sugar Hollow, I'm still not sure how productive I will be this season and a CSA will get me to try vegetables that I normally overlook in the store (like cabbage and parsnips). If my garden is productive, friends and I have been talking about teaching each other different ways of preserving our harvests.

Spring, you can't arrive soon enough!

No comments: